If you’re an older adult, you may have noticed swelling around your ankles. This is a common condition among seniors and is caused by fluid accumulating in the soft tissue surrounding the ankles or in the ankle joint. The swelling may be due to prolonged standing, eating a diet high in salt, sitting for extended periods of time, sustaining an ankle injury, or taking certain medications. It could also be caused by a variety of underlying medical conditions. Although ankle swelling is common, it should not be dismissed or ignored. If you have swollen ankles, it is suggested that you visit a chiropodist, who can help determine the cause of the swelling and offer the appropriate treatments.
Proper foot care is something many older adults forget to consider. If you have any concerns about your feet and ankles, contact one of the chiropodists from Complete Family Footcare & Therapy. We can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
The Elderly and Their Feet
As we age, we start to notice many changes in our bodies, but the elder population may not notice them right away. Medical conditions may prevent the elderly to take notice of their foot health right away. Poor vision is a lead contributor to elderly inaction.
- Neuropathy – can reduce feeling in the feet and can hide many life-threatening medical conditions.
- Reduced flexibility – prevents the ability of proper toenail trimming, and foot cleaning. If left untreated, it may lead to further medical issues.
- Foot sores – amongst the older population can be serious before they are discovered. Some of the problematic conditions they may face are:
- Gouging toenails affecting nearby toe
- Shoes that don’t fit properly
- Pressure sores
- Loss of circulation in legs & feet
- Edema & swelling of feet and ankles
Diabetes and poor circulation can cause general loss of sensitivity over the years, turning a simple cut into a serious issue.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our offices located in North York and Mississauga, ON. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.